Monday, February 8, 2010

The Symptom called Sorrow


I have come to like the Eastern Christian emphasis on sin as a symptom of sickness, rather the dominant legal failure model of our Western Christianity. In saying this I do not wish to diminish the seriousness of sin. Sin is serious, very serious indeed, and as a Christian I know this because of the great sacrifice paid by Christ to overcome it. That being said, I find that viewing sin as a sickness very helpful.

When I think, say, or do something that I know is wrong I realize that it is an indication that I am sick with sin. And the solution to this is to go to the Physician - Jesus. Our general encounter with sin, whether ours or others leads to what St. Paul describes as sorrow. Or as my wife sometimes says, "I'm sick of being sick!" In 2 Corinthians 7.10 Paul says, "For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death." In other words when we take our sinful feelings to the LORD there is substantial healing leading to life in Christ, but if we turn to find solutions in the world (self-centered solutions) it only leads to greater difficulties.

So where are you going to turn today when you realize you are sick with sin, even if you realize somebody you love is sick with sin? Let's turn to the Great Physician, the healer of our souls: Jesus. May He cure all our sin and sorrows.

LORD have mercy, Brian+

No comments:

Post a Comment