Thursday, January 7, 2010

God Exists

As a young person I would often wonder about the existence of God. I would love to read all manner of books and articles relating "proofs" of the existence of God. The folly of such thinking is that God's existence and any walk of faith was determined by my feelings of His presence, and/or my assent to intellectual rationalizations of that existence. This would be like expecting a broken vessel to hold water. I found this quote a number of months ago which sums up something of a more mature approach.

LORD have mercy, Brian+

hat tip: Holy Theophany Orthodox Church ~ The Sunday Bulletin

Whether we believe or not, we belong to God. Whether we understand it or not, or feel His presence or not, or rejoice in that presence or not, He exists. He is my God. He is my Lord. Even during moments of darkness and terror, when God doesn’t exist for me, He still exists. When I feel I’m a failure, when all my efforts seem fruitless, when my life seems to have passed in vain, Christ is still my Christ. He is there for me no matter what happens. He exists irrespectively of my capabilities, capacities, and comprehension. I might imagine that God is small. But God is great. I might think that God doesn’t hear. But He does. And He has given Himself entirely to me, so that there’s only one possibility of failure: for me to break off my relationship with the “I Am” (Ex. 3:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment