Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Worship - proskuneo

Please forgive my forwardness but I like to kiss my wife. There’s something about pursing those lips and tenderly kissing her cheek, forehead, or lips. Can’t say I tire of it either. That is the blessing of loving, honouring, and cherishing, the woman I vowed to the Lord to love until “death do us part.” But, you know, my wife is not here this evening and I cannot give her a kiss. I’ll just have to wait another day.

The Greek word for worship is a compound word – proskuneo. It is formed by the words pros, meaning toward, and kuneo, meaning to kiss. You have to love the word – worship in the Greek means to come toward and to kiss. Christ is the Bride and we are the bridegroom. We are the beloved and He is the Lover. The Bride, the Church, gathers to worship the Lord, an intimate act of adoring and loving the Lord. We worship, we draw near and kiss the Lord. The thought that such an act as worship could be dull, is to say that kissing ones wife could be boring. The lovers of the Lord are delighted to gather and ‘kiss’ the Lord, which is worship. And in worship, the Lord kisses us with the mysteries of the sacrament. All worship is thus intimate and tender.

My wife may not be present, but the Lord is ever present. And He waits for His Bride to notice His tender and gentle ways, to purse their hearts to love and adoration, to draw near and kiss the beloved, the Christ.

I don’t know about you, but I am heading off to Church on Sunday. I can hardly wait to worship the Lord.

Brian+

No comments:

Post a Comment